Sunday is Still a Crazy Good TV Night, Especially with BIG BROTHER back! - Kristy Carruba
Published: July 16, 2012 at 04:59 PM GMT
|Kristy Carruba -- Click on the photo read Watching Way Too Much archives.|
Last Updated: July 17, 2012 at 04:59 PM GMT
By Kristy Carruba
The answer to Friday's Trivia Question: Crane, Poole & Schmidt was the law firm on BOSTON LEGAL
FIRST FIVES: He Who Shall Not Be Named, Bobby Aguilera, Barrie Cota, Gerald Piscopo, & Sue Prial
Thursday's Broadcast Top 5
THE BIG BANG THEORY-CBS 2.8/9.0
BIG BROTHER (CFF)-CBS 2.6/7.1
THE BIG BANG THEORY-CBS 2.3/7.9
PERSON OF INTEREST-CBS 1.2/5.6
Thursday's Broadcast Trendrr Top 5
BIG BROTHER (CFF)-CBS 386,152
TAKE ME OUT-FOX 348,911
THE BIG BANG THEORY-CBS 92,717
THE VAMPIRE DIARIES-CW 53,323
Thursday's Cable Top 5
SWAMP PEOPLE-History 1.7/5.1
MOUNTAIN MEN-History 1.3/4.1
USA BASKETBALL-ESPN 1.3/2.7
BURN NOTICE-USA 1.2/4.4
Thursday's Cable Trendrr Top 5
LA HAIR-WE 221,468
BURN NOTICE-USA 174,967
Friday's Broadcast Top 5
SHARK TANK-ABC 1.2/4.8
UNDERCOVER BOSS-CBS .9/4.5
BLUE BLOODS-CBS .7/5.0
Friday's Broadcast Trendrr Top 5
Friday's Cable Top 5
Friday's Cable Trendrr Top 5
GHOST ADVENTURES-Travel 51,018
COMIC STORE HEROES-National Geographic 28,965
COMMON LAW-USA 27,644
You know what Sunday now means...BIG BROTHER! So much happens it's hard to write it all as down in paragraph form so I am resorting to bullet points...it's easier...sorry to those offended by the bullet point format:
- Boogie and Dan formed an alliance which I totally expected considering Dan thinks Boogie is all that and a bag of chips-but Dan is also smart enough to know not to completely trust Boogie...smart boy Dan...you're right!
- Janelle and Britney form an alliance which is a great move for Britney, Janelle will teach her a thing or two.
- Willie finally comes clean and admits that he is Russell's bro and I actually started to like him a little. He, unlike his brother, understands the importance of the social game and even appears to be reaching out across teams to form an alliance with Frank...key word APPEARS
- Janelle looks like a giant compared to Britney doesn't she?
- The HOH room is pretty sweet for both the HOH and the HOH's coach, because they get a little perk too.
- I wanted to like Ian, but even as viewers we all agree with everyone in the house...he is sort of creepy. He is a lurker and a stalker. For someone who is a self proclaimed BB expert, he seemed to forget awfully quick that there are 53 cameras' everywhere and that everyone in the HOH room can watch him parade and dance all around the house looking even creepier.
- I haven't been checking the blogs...anyone know what the 603 visor Boogie is wearing is all about?
- New competition...the coaches competition...brilliant...the winner can guarantee safety for someone on their team. Then each coach chooses someone from their team to be a have not.
- This week's coach's competition had coaches in horse suits running around an oily slippery "racetrack" track trying to grab the tail off of their opponent. Janelle and Boogie ended up competing against each other and unfortunately, Boogie won and was a bit of an ass and not because he was dressed like one.
- Boogie saves creepy Ian which I didn't understand at first, but then when he gave his rationale, I got it
- This seasons Have Not room is pretty terrible, horn shaped beds with rivets and the room itself is dizzying. I'd never sleep.
- Willie nominates...Kara and Frank which was NOT what Boogie wanted to hear, but it was what Britney suggested, so Willie stayed true to his coach and his alliance. The look on Boogie and Franks faces when the nominees were revealed...priceless.
OPRAH BUILDS A NETWORK...guess it's was a 2 part special because it was back again this week. It's really a PR stunt if you ask me. Oprah described why she had to let 30 people go, cancel the Rosie show, and the ratings issue. It must be exhausting being Oprah...all that deep deep thinking makes my brain hurt just watching her processing every single thing around her. Every single thing she seems to be going through ties back to some "spiritual trial" that Oprah can learn and grow and evolve from. The show doesn't really address building a network, but really continues Oprah's sermons and philosophy's on who you are and who you need to be blah blah blah blah blah...BUT I couldn't turn it off for some reason. Hearing Oprah explain that she had pretty much no idea who the Kardashians were and still had them on the show "not purely for ratings" but because people are interested in them which should translate into ratings was comical and was Oprah manipulating her audience. Bottomline, her Kardashian show did translate to big ratings for the OWN network. So all is right in the world, ratings are up show over every thing's fixed...whatever.
-I'm not loving the entire storyline withAndy, Jill, Jill's kids and Jill's ex on WEEDS. The good news is that the annoying ex-husband already headed back to India. Bad news Jill and the girls are staying put. Amber from PARENTHOOD made a surprise guest appearance as Nancy's shooters girlfriend. Doug and his work bud lost their hedge fund gig and began a non-profit with money donated from their ex employer, I have a feeling that non-profit's going to be funding a new weed biz soon. Hunger Parrish is hot...just saying. Loved Shane busting Tim, Nancy's shooter with officer Thurgood Nutgood, classic TV name.
- When Merks dad dies on EPISODES, the competition to send the perfect condolence gift is a funny theme. Since the ratings of PUCKS aren't the greatest, Matt (who I still always want to call Joey), Sean, and Beverly try to figure out something to send, apparently a deli platter for the Hollywood Jewish elite just isn't good enough. Loved Morning's question for Matt as to whether or not all the "Friends" would come to HIS funeral. "Of course they'd all come...yes even Jennifer." Then Morning comes back with "can you imagine how much press it would get since all the "Friends" would be back together...Matt has to remind her that HE would be dead, so they wouldn't ALL be together. I guess ya had to be there...it was funny! Not sure if Merk leaving his father's funeral service to book Matthew Broderick is art imitating life or not and to be honest, if it was, than Hollywood life is even more twisted than I thought.
-Have any of you actually sampled BLK water? When we weren't baring witness to Joe Gorga's need to "release the poison" on REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NJ, we were forced to watch a never ending commercial for this stuff. Then it was all about Beatstock, a concert I had never heard of before, but apparently the housewives think is a big deal... Melissa was lip syncing and dancing in the festival and Gia was just dancing, and Milania was...disgusting. Everyone was phony and so happy for one another. The Giudice kids are the worst kids I've ever seen in my life.
-The countdown is on...GAME OF THRONES season 3 premieres' in 258 days on March 31, 2013...don't worry, I'll remind you as it gets closer. By then our winter will have come and hopefully gone, who knows if the winter will finally arrive in Westeros. -So if Joan Rivers takes the place of Steven Tyler on IDOL, who is going to take the place of JLo? On Friday, JLo announced that she too will be leaving the show. So...take Paula back no??? Joan, Paula and Randy...I personally would watch that train wreck.
-With the exception of the premiere, I haven't watched HBO's NEWSROOM on Sunday nights when it originally airs, mainly because it's a pretty difficult show to watch for a non real news (or even a DAILY SHOW type news) viewer like me. I'm not sure if even real news viewers would "get" most of this show. It requires 110% of my concentration, a dictionary and Google and even with these tools, I still feel pretty unintelligent when each episode comes to its conclusion. I'm pretty sure the show is wasted on me, but I will continue to watch every episode mainly because of the writing. I can't ever imagine meeting Aaron Sorkin, he would probably want nothing to do with a person like me who gets way more excited by Tom/Kat than the Tea Party, but I am a person that appreciates brilliance especially TV brilliance...Aaron Sorkin wrote this...Emmy worthy speech... Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuXDK46P9bM
-I'm still watching DALLAS, and still loving it. JR's eyebrows are still the focal point of every scene he's in and Southfork, as of the end of episode 3, is currently back in Bobby Ewings hands...I think. The owner of Southfork seems to change at least twice per episode. Interesting issue this week with Scarface's scar...some scenes, the scar appeared to be right smack in the middle of her face as it always is, but in other scenes the scar seemed to have mysteriously disappeared...can you do that with great lighting?
-Monday's Trivia Question: This week's theme was suggested by WWTM reader, Lillian Doremus...Midseason replacements...Thanks Lil
Which one of these TV hits began its run as a Midseason replacement show: THE WONDER YEARS, A DIFFERENT WORLD, MURPHY BROWN or ROSEANNE?
Send your Trivia Answer to Kristy at Kristy@watchingwaytoomuch.com.
Kristy Carruba is currently Media Manager for Verizon Wireless Consumer Products where she oversees the investment and inventory management for all National media. Kristy has always had a passion for TV and started writing “TV News of the Day” in January of 2011 which evolved into Watching Way Too Much six months later. Kristy can be reached Kristy@watchingwaytoomuch.com.
Read all Kristy's MediaBizBloggers commentaries at Watching Way Too Much.
Check us out on Facebook at MediaBizBloggers.com
Follow our Twitter updates @MediaBizBlogger
The opinions and points of view expressed in this commentary are exclusively the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of MediaBizBloggers.com management or associated bloggers. MediaBizBloggers is an open thought leadership platform and readers may share their comments and opinions in response to all commentaries.
To communicate with or to be contacted by the executives and/or companies mentioned in this column, link to JackMyers Connection Hotline.